8.30.2009

What's the Reader's Role?

So it's been something around nine months since I made my last contribution to the Plumbline School. Let's just call it a sabbatical from blogging and move on.

Like my last post, I'm going to take the lazy way out and do a re-blog. I just finished reading a good post on what makes a poem over at Jim Murdoch's blog. Rather than re-hash what he said, I'll just point you toward it. Murdoch, a novelist, makes some excellent points about the reader's tasks when it comes to poetry. Be sure to read the whole thing, and also check out the links at the bottom of his post.

1 comment:

Mairi said...

Murdoch's entry reads like an answer to some of the comments about 'feeling' attached to Josph's entry below, on how to read a poem. I particularly appreciated his comment in What Does a Poem do? http://jim-murdoch.blogspot.com/2009/06/what-does-poem-do.html claiming that "poetry is a way of thinking." Thanks for the link.